Wayne V Black
In 2006, the Board of Directors of the Energy Telecommunications & Electrical Association (ENTELEC; www.entelec.org) established the Wayne V. Black Scholarship Award. It was with great sadness that in the fall of 2011, ENTELEC mourned the loss of Mr. Black. The scholarship has been renamed the “Wayne V. Black Memorial Scholarship Award”.
Mr. Black, a former partner in the Washington, D.C. law firm of Keller and Heckman llp, graduated from the University of Missouri in 1959. He began his career at the firm as a Federal Communications Commission licensing specialist, before receiving his law degree from the George Washington University and becoming an attorney in 1964.
From 1964 until his retirement in 2007, Mr. Black represented oil and gas companies, electric utilities and others before the FCC and elsewhere on a wide variety of telecommunications matters. Among other things, he assisted countless energy companies in securing radio authorizations and waivers, participating in FCC rulemaking proceedings, and representing their interests before the Commission, the courts and the United States Congress. He had served as General Counsel of ENTELEC since the 1970s.
In recognition of his many years of service on behalf of ENTELEC, the Board of Directors determined to establish a lasting tribute to Mr. Black with the creation of the annual scholarship in his name.
Established in 1928, ENTELEC is the premier association providing a forum for SCADA, Automation and Communications technologies in the energy industry. As a global authority on the industry, ENTELEC empowers professionals to increase their organizational value through education and networking opportunities.
Through its strategic plan, Staying Ahead of the Curve, ENTELEC is committed to providing quality educational programming for all levels of energy professionals from novice to executive. The creation of the Wayne V. Black Memorial Scholarship Award is consistent with this goal.
2018 APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY AND QUALIFICATIONS
1. To be eligible for consideration, the Applicant must be a currently enrolled full- time undergraduate student in good academic standing at an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada.
2. The Applicant must be working towards a Bachelor’s degree in one of the following curricula:
- Engineering/ Engineering Technology
- Computer Science/MIS
- Political Science
- Telecommunications/Information Technology
3. The Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident or Canadian citizen.
4. Family members of active members of the ENTELEC Board of Directors are not eligible to apply.
1. All applications will be evaluated by the Scholarship Committee based upon the Applicant’s biography, essay, GPA and references, as weighted in the discretion of the Scholarship Committee.
2. The amount of the scholarship award as established by the Board of ENTELEC will be $5,000.
3. Decisions by the Scholarship Committee will be final.
1. Download the “Wayne V. Black Memorial Scholarship” Application. You can submit the application via email or by hard copy mailed to our office by the deadline of 4:00 PM CST on January 26, 2018.
2. Complete the Application and prepare the following documents (ALL submitted documents must be typewritten):
- Biography: 1 page. (12-point font, double spaced).
- Essay on the topic assigned by the Scholarship Committee. The essay (including citations, references, bibliography, etc.) shall not be more than 5 pages (12-point font, double spaced). (Essay topic included in the Application.)
- A copy of the official transcript of record MAY be required for finalists upon request by ENTELEC.
3. Documents may be submitted electronically via email to Christi Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may mail documents to:
3341 Regent Blvd., Suite 130 - 325
Irving, TX 75063
4. All documents submitted shall become the property of ENTELEC.
Submission packages must be received at the address above no later than 4:00 PM, CST, January 26, 2018, prior to the school year for which the scholarship is sought.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF 2018 WINNER
The winner will be notified by March 26, 2018 by either phone or email.
AWARD OF SCHOLARSHIP
The Scholarship will be announced during the Opening General Session of the Annual ENTELEC Conference & Exposition.